Thursday, November 3, 2011

Punk languages, my ass

Something about this made me want to punch the guy in the face. I should be a sympathetic audience: C is always my second-favorite language (after the best available Lisp, whatever that is at the moment) and it's often exactly the right tool, because C is all about your being responsible for everything. (Kinda. Sorta. Less responsible for everything than you think, really.) But the argument here is so weak, and depends on such a weird view of what makes a language good, that my knuckles get to itching.

Also, assuming that there's something punk about C, anyone who thinks that ObjC (or, gods help us, C++) is punk too is the same sort of person who would call Green Day punk. Don't even get me started on f'n JavaScript.

No comments:

Post a Comment