Friday, September 10, 2010

Pushing square Java into a round hole

I don't know just what the Java gnomes were thinking the language would be good for, but it's clear that desktop applications was not on the list. One of my smaller complaints: the system/user preferences system is borked on Linux.

The general problem is that the JDK installer doesn't set up the preferences folder. There are a variety of symptoms and an assortment of cures posted around the intertubes. I don't know that I've completely solved the problem, but here's my best shot:

sudo mkdir /opt/sun-jdk-1.6.0.21/jre/.systemPrefs
sudo touch /opt/sun-jdk-1.6.0.21/jre/.systemPrefs/.system.lock
sudo touch /opt/sun-jdk-1.6.0.21/jre/.systemPrefs/.systemRootModFile
sudo chmod 666 /opt/sun-jdk-1.6.0.21/jre/.systemPrefs/.*
sudo chmod 777 /opt/sun-jdk-1.6.0.21/jre/.systemPrefs

I'm sure this could be smarter about security. Maybe in a later post.

No comments:

Post a Comment